Fire damages bike club


(12/31/2008)

by Sarah Squires

A fire broke out at the headquarters of the Down and Dirty Bike Club early Tuesday morning, causing damage to the Third Street building but not injuring anyone.

Police and firefighters were called at 2:36 a.m. to the storefront at 129 East Third Street, with a stove fire in the back of the main floor and flames inching up to the ceiling.

Fire Chief Ed Krall said that an electric stove on the main floor was the origin of the fire, with three burners still in the “on” position when firefighters snuffed out the blaze.

Police said a woman telephoned after two people left the building and asked her to call for help. A witness pulled a sleeping 21-year-old man from the building who was taken to CMH because he was intoxicated. Two women in an upstairs apartment were also taken to the hospital to be evaluated and were later released.

Fire department workers controlled the blaze within 30 minutes, said Krall. As far as damage, “They’ve got some cleaning up to do,” he said.

 

Search Archives




Our online forms will help you through the process. Just fill in the fields with your information.

Any troubles, give us a call.