Winona awarded $2.8M Mn/DOT Highway Freight Program Grant for improvements to Riverview Drive


(1/3/2018)

The city of Winona is pleased to announce that it has been awarded a $2.8 million grant for the fiscal year 2019. The grant will be provided by the state of Minnesota’s Department of Transportation Highway Freight Program and used for the resurfacing of Riverview Drive from Second Street to Pelzer Avenue. The state grant will pay for 80 percent of the project with the city of Winona funding the remaining 20 percent of the project costs. The competitive grant is designed to help improve the safety and mobility of freight transport.

Charles Zelle, commissioner of Mn/DOT, stated that projects were selected “on the basis of freight volume, freight safety and mobility benefits, freight facility access, cost effectiveness and project readiness.” The Winona engineering department submitted the grant proposal with assistance from WHKS Engineering of Rochester.

Brian DeFrang, city engineer, stated that this project has been a high priority for the city of Winona as heavy truck traffic to and from the Port of Winona has taken a toll on the pavement. In addition, planned safety improvements will also be a high priority along this stretch of road.

 

Search Archives




Our online forms will help you through the process. Just fill in the fields with your information.

Any troubles, give us a call.