The Winhawk boys swim and dive team took on the Class A State True Team and finished in seventh place. This event measures the entire depth of the team, as each team has four entries for each event. Winhawks won seven events outright, set three new meet records, and turned in some great times. A pair of dual meets remain, both events this week: one on Tuesday versus Onalaska/Holmen, and a final dual meet on Thursday at home versus Century.
“I am so very pleased with the guys,” said coach Chris Mayer. “They have been practicing their butts off, working hard every single day, and still responding very well when we get to these top end meets. I wanted to give them more rest, but even they argued with me and reminded me that the end goal is sections and state.”
• Overall team finishes: Breck/Blake, 2,377; Saint Thomas, 2,066; Northfield, 2,050; Sartell, 2048.5; Simley, 1,529; Mankato West, 1,490; Winona, 1,478.5; Hibbing, 1,430; Sauk Rapids, 1,412.5; Fridley, 1,227.5; Melrose Sauk Center, 1,180; Alexandria, 1,085.5; and Austin, 1084.
• Medley relay: eighth-place finish for the team of Brady Klein, Grant Wolner, Tony Coudron, and Alex Jorgenson.
• 200 free: Griffin Wolner won the event in a new meet record time of 1:42.98. Tanner Lozenski won sixth; 16th went to Alex Jorgenson and 40th place went to Ethan Evenson.
• 200 individual medley: Grant Wolner, winning in 1:58.15; 23rd, Tony Coudron; 42nd, Jon Broas; and 44th, Brayden Coudron.
• 50 free style: third was Jack Herczeg in 21.97; 45th, Griffin Buswell; 47th, Baker Swenson; 50th, Ian Loos.
• Diving: Sam Serleth at third place with 366.85; sixth, Devon Dulek; 27th, Aidan Mohan; and 34th, Jorge Olvera.
• Butterfly: eighth place was Tanner Lozenski in 56.01; 22nd, Tony Coudron; 33rd, Nick Brand; and 47th, Jake Simmons.
• 100 freestyle: Jack Herczeg was second at the 50; 24th, Brady Klein; 47th, Gavin Nelson; and 49th, Ian Loos.
• 500 freestyle: first place was Griffin Wolner in a new meet record time of 4:45.43; seventh, Alex Jorgenson; 33rd, Ethan Evenson; and 46th, Colin White.
• 200 free relay: in first place with a time of 1:27.76 was the team of Jack Herczeg, Grant Wolner, Tanner Lozenski, and Griffin Wolner.
• Backstroke: Brady Klein took 23rd place in 1:02.89; 40th, Griffin Buswell; 43rd, Gavin Nelson; and 45th, Brayden Coudron.
• 100 breaststroke: Grant Wolner took first with 58.71, also a new school record, breaking his previous record of 59.00; 35th, Nick Brand; 45th, Colten Brand; 47th, Briar Volkman.
• 4x100 free relay: first place with 3:14.45 (meet record was 3:13.75) Griffin Wolner, Tanner Lozenski, Alex Jorgenson, and Jack Herczeg.