Winona County Sheriff’s deputies assisted the Lewiston Fire Department and the Lewiston Ambulance Service on Monday afternoon with a reported fire on the 8000 block of C Street in Lewiston at 2:34 p.m.
While the exact chain of events remains unclear, the initial report of smoke emerging from vents on the building roof appeared to have come from the renter of the property, where he lived with his fiancee and two children. Fire officials report that a wiring issue in the attic caused insulation to begin smoldering. Upon arrival the firefighters sprayed the hot spots with an estimated 600 gallons of water before pulling the insulation out of the building, and they officially cleared the fire at 4:59 p.m.
The two children and the female resident were reportedly present in the building at the time of the fire, but no injuries were reported.