Friday, April 27
• At 6:37 p.m. an employee at Wal-Mart reported the theft of a pink iPhone 6. The incident is under investigation.
• At 6:56 p.m. officers received a report of a theft on the 450 block of Mankato Avenue. Officers located Brandon Barry Zenke, 30, of Winona, who had reportedly run a power cord into a vacant neighboring apartment and was using it to provide power to his own apartment. Zenke was cited with theft.
• At 11:15 p.m. officers made contact with a “suspicious individual” on the 50 block of Center Street. During questioning the individual reportedly began to run from police. Hunter Aaron Ehlers, 20, of Farmington, Minn., was cited with public urination, underage consumption of alcohol, and fleeing officers on foot. His blood-alcohol content was reported at .18 percent.
Saturday, April 28
• At 1:29 a.m. an officer stopped a vehicle at Fifth and Olmstead streets and took Kayla Ann Piper, 31, of Eau Claire, Wis., into custody after reportedly noticing signs of intoxication. Piper was charged with second-degree driving while intoxicated. Her blood-alcohol content was reported at .16 percent.
• At 9:31 a.m. officers received a report that someone had run across the tops of two parked vehicles sometime overnight on the 100 block of Harriet Street, damaging the roofs of both vehicles.
• At 3:11 p.m. officers received a report of theft from Wal-Mart. Baihley Lynn Bartz, 24, of Plainview, was cited for theft after she reportedly was caught switching price tags on items in the store.
• At 3:35 p.m. officers received complaints of public urination at a beanbag tournament in Lake Park near Franklin Street. Officers reportedly observed four males urinating near the bike path. Jason Kelechi Anozie, 18, of Burnsville, Minn., Tobias James Mathews, 21, of St. Anthony, Minn., Zachary David McLaughlin, 22, of Fon-du-Lac, Wis., and Christian Carlos Soto, 22, of North Fon-du-Lac, Wis., were each cited for public urination.
• At 3:51 p.m. officers received a report of an intoxicated individual swimming across Winona’s East Lake in his underwear. Officers located him on the south side of the lake and cited Eli Michael Casey, 20, of Winona, with underage consumption of alcohol.
• At 10:07 p.m. officers reportedly heard the sounds of a fight and located Yasin Yahya Muhumed, 22, of Chaska, Minn., and Abel Kebede Belay, 20, of Brooklyn Center, Minn., inside a residence on the 350 block of Eighth Street. Neither party wanted to press charges but both were cited with disorderly conduct.
• At 11:10 p.m. officers observed a female squatting near a church on Eighth and Center streets and reportedly noticed the odor of alcohol. Olivia Sophia Pieper, 19, of Cashton, Wis., was cited with underage consumption of alcohol, with a reported blood-alcohol content of .11 percent. Gavin Richard Asmus, 18, of Apple Valley, Minn., was cited with underage consumption of alcohol with a reported blood-alcohol content of .12 percent.
• At 11:23 p.m. officers received a report of a juvenile female who had stolen $53.82 in cosmetics from Wal-Mart.
• At 11:28 p.m. officers received a report of a driver striking a parked car on the 800 block of East Broadway. Officers reportedly followed a trail of debris to Seventh and Liberty streets and identified a vehicle that matched the description of the vehicle responsible for the damage. Hanna Rae Bauer, 20, of Brooklyn Park, Minn., reportedly showed signs of intoxication, and was cited for leaving the scene of a property damage accident and misdemeanor leaving the scene of an accident. Her blood-alcohol content was reported at .11 percent.
Sunday, April 29
• At 12:28 a.m. officers at Huff and Seventh streets cited Austin Michael Tschumper, 20, of Winona with possession of an open container of alcohol.
• At 12:49 a.m. officers responded to a report of a man running out of Wal-Mart with $150 in stolen steaks. Officers located the man nearby who reportedly ran from officers, and was detained near Mankato Avenue. Craig Ray Hanville, 44, of Rochester, Minn., was arrested for theft by shoplifting and fleeing law enforcement officers on foot.
• At 10:54 p.m. officers received a report of a suspicious vehicle on a dirt road near the Minnesota Marine Art Museum. Officers reportedly observed three males in a parked vehicle and noticed an odor of marijuana smoke. Inside the vehicle were two 17-year-old males from Winona, in possession of e-cigarettes. Both were cited for underage use of tobacco. A search of the vehicle resulted in the location of two bags of a substance identified as marijuana. Evan Henry Navarro-Katz, 18, of Winona, was cited with fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance, marijuana, in the form of brownies.
• At 12:38 p.m. a 16-year-old male from Winona was referred to the county attorney for a charge of third-degree criminal sexual conduct based on age after allegedly having had sexual contact with a 13-year-old female. The male was detained for probation violations.
Monday, April 30
• At 6:36 p.m. an adult male reported that someone may have put sugar into the gas tanks of two vehicles on the 250 block of Center Street. The man suspects the vehicles were targeted in error.
• At 9:12 p.m. a dumpster fire was reported at the dumpster enclosure at Perkins Restaurant on Mankato Avenue. No injuries were reported.
Winona County Sheriff
Thursday, April 26
• At 6:18 a.m officers responded to a medical call at the Golden Harvest restaurant in Utica and reportedly located Colton John Pearson, 20, of St. Charles, inside a parked vehicle and observed signs of intoxication. Pearson was cited with fourth-degree driving while intoxicated. His blood-alcohol content was measured at .13 percent.
Friday, April 27
• At 10:42 p.m. deputies responded to an anonymous report of a woman screaming for help in the area of Hidden Valley. Officers could not locate anyone, but recognized the address of Terry Lee Beck, 59, of Hidden Valley. Beck arrived at the residence with a female passenger and left again after seeing sheriff’s vehicles. He was stopped and cited with violating a domestic-abuse no contact order.
• At 11:11 p.m. near Highway 61 and 44th Avenue in Goodview deputies performed a traffic stop on a driver who had a missing headlight and drove outside his lane. Kieran Joseph Walsh, 19, of St. Paul, Minn., was taken to jail and deputies received a signed warrant to test Walsh’s blood. Walsh was cited with driving while impaired by a controlled substance.
Saturday, April 28
• At 2:54 a.m. deputies performed a traffic stop on a driver who had reportedly crossed the center line multiple times. Sean Bradley Smith, 22, of Galesville, Wis., reportedly admitted to drinking four or five hours prior. Smith was taken to jail and deputies received a signed warrant to test Smith’s blood. He was cited with driving while impaired by a controlled substance.
Sunday, April 29
• At 5:39 p.m. deputies assisted fire departments from Dakota, Nodine, Pickwick and Ridgeway with a fire-pit fire that had jumped to a barn and then onto a home on County Road 5. The Red Cross was on hand and no injuries were reported.
Monday, April 30
• At 7:25 p.m. deputies received an anonymous report of an erratic driver in the Freemont area but could not locate the vehicle. At 9:30 p.m. a deputy located a white 2007 GMC truck matching the description of the suspect vehicle traveling at 65 mph in a 55-mph zone. The driver refused to stop for deputies and after a chase with speeds exceeding 100 mph, the driver of the truck attempted to make a high-speed turn at County Road 6 and County Road 29, skidded and came to a stop in front of the Freemont Store. Deputies took John Reagan Soukup, 51, of Lewiston, into custody for felony fleeing an officer, driving after license cancellation inimical to public safety, and speeding.