Members of the Minnesota Genbu-Kai karate group attended the International Goodwill Games in Santa Ana, Calif., on February 24-26, 2017. Thirteen members attended seminars and competed in karate and kobudo (traditional Japanese weapons) events. Black belt members also officiated events.
Who is karate training for? Karate-do training is for anyone interested in learning a way of maintaining a lifelong physical and mental fitness while learning self-defense skills. To learn more about training in karate with the Winona group visit mnkarate.com, at 1164 West 10th Street, Valencia Studio #3, Winona, or by calling 507-452-5009.
Winona area participants achieved the following results in the kobudo (weapons) competition:
• Hannah Biesanz, third place, kobudo kata
• Matt Biesanz, first place, brown belt kobudo kata; third place, kobudo kumite; first place, senior brown belt kata; third place, senior brown/black belt kumite
• Sam Zimmerman, first place, women’s kobudo kumite
• Ann Yehle, third place, kobudo kata; third place, women’s kobudo kumite
• Randy Thomson, first place, men’s kobudo kumite
• Brett Biesanz, third place, boys advanced kumite
• Hailey Biesanz. first place, girls advanced kumite
• Shubham Debnath, first place, black belt kobudo kata