Trial considers police shooting, chase



Daryl Scott Jackson, 56, of Lanesboro, is accused of pointing a pistol at Winona Police Officer Doug Inglett during a traffic stop two years ago. Inglett and another officer fired a barrage of gunshots at Jackson; Jackson sped off and led officers on a chase that eventually ended with his surrender. Jackson is charged with second-degree assault and fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, both felonies, as well as driving while intoxicated and failing to comply with police orders. A jury trial began last week to determine whether he is guilty.

Winona County Sheriff’s Deputy Les Ladewig was off-duty and driving his personal vehicle late at night on July 2, 2016, when he saw Jackson driving a blue Dodge Durango on Highway 43 north of Rushford. Ladewig testified that Jackson was drifting across the centerline and fog line. Ladewig suspected he was under the influence; however, Ladewig could not get his phone to work to call dispatchers. Ladewig followed the Durango for miles as it turned onto Interstate 90 and then took the Winona exit. 


Ladewig continued following Jackson as he turned off Highway 43 to take Gilmore Ridge Road to Garvin Heights Road. As they neared Garvin Heights subdivisions, Ladewig said he managed to get his phone working and called dispatch. In a recording of that call, Ladewig asks dispatchers if there are any cops in the area who could respond, explaining, “I have a drunk mofo in front of me right now.”

Around this time, Ladewig knew that the Durango driver knew he was being followed. When Jackson turned down the dead-end Buck Ridge Drive, Ladewig waited at the entrance. When Jackson came back out and crossed the road onto Conrad Drive, Ladewig followed him through the Wincrest subdivision.

Dash camera footage shows Inglett driving his squad up Garvin Heights Road just as Jackson was turning south onto the road, from Skyline Drive. What appears to be Ladewig’s vehicle can be seen right behind Jackson. Inglett activated his lights and pulled Jackson over. Then Inglett and an unarmed reserve officer who was riding with Inglett approached Jackson — Inglett from the driver’s side and the reserve officer from the passenger side. The squad car footage shows Inglett saying hello to Jackson and asking him to put out a cigarette. “Do you have a driver’s license, proof of insurance with you?” Inglett asks. Jackson’s reply is audible: “I do.” Inglett asks, “Can I take a look at it?” Seconds later, Inglett says, “OK,” and starts drawing his firearm. Inglett can be seen pointing his firearm, inside the Durango, at Jackson. Inglett’s left hand was also inside the vehicle, holding a flashlight. Asked by defense attorney Kurt Knuesel what his left hand was doing, Inglett testified, “I don’t recall if I struck him or just grabbed ahold of his arm. I don’t recall what I did.” Then, in the video, Inglett’s voice rises: “Get your [expletive] hands up! Gun! Gun! Get your [expletive] hands up!” At this point, Inglett and the reserve officer start retreating from the Durango. Inglett fires several shots as he backs up. Winona Police Officer Wade Anderson had pulled up behind Inglett a moment earlier, and Anderson said he also fired at Jackson at that point, though from his vantage point beside Inglett’s squad, Anderson could not see what Jackson was doing.

From the inflection of Inglett’s voice when he yelled “gun” and from the look in Inglett’s eyes as he retreated, Anderson said he could tell something was seriously wrong. The two officers had been on high-risk calls before, but this was something else, Anderson stated. “He looked scared,” Anderson said.

Inglett testified that Jackson’s hands were in his lap when he first approached, but that after he asked for his license and insurance, Jackson reached down, near the floor. Suddenly, Inglett said he realized Jackson was holding a handgun, pointed toward the gas pedals. Jackson started raising it and pointed it at Inglett’s chest and head, Inglett stated. “As soon as I acknowledged that I could see the gun, he moved it toward me,” Inglett said. “I was in fear of my life. I was in fear of reserve officer Norton’s life,” he added.

Inglett testified that he ran around both squad cars and started firing on Jackson a second time. Footage shows that this second volley of shots began as Jackson started pulling away and driving off. Inglett testified that he saw movements that made him believe Jackson was trying to get out of the car. Other officers testified the Durango rear window was so dirty they could not see through it.

Jackson took off back the way he came, south along Garvin Heights Road and eventually to Highway 43. Winona Police Sergeant Kevin Kearney was approaching in his squad just as the shooting started and he led the chase. Kearney said they drove at speeds of around 50-60 mph. Other officers testified that the chase was faster. As Jackson neared Interstate 90, Winona County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Chad Myers successfully deployed a spike strip, and the Durango’s tires went flat as Jackson pulled onto the onramp.

A lengthy standoff ensued, in which officers said they gave Jackson commands to come out with his hands up, and Jackson did not. Eventually, Jackson surrendered, was arrested, and treated for a neck wound. Deputy Myers was one of the first officers to check the Durango after the arrest and he photographed a black pistol on the passenger’s seat. “This is how the gun was lying in the passenger seat when I first approached,” Myers testified. It was not loaded, and there was no evidence that it had ever been fired that night, he said.

As the Winona Post went to press on Friday afternoon, Jackson had not been called to testified, but in his opening statements, Knuesel stated that after Jackson’s home was burglarized years ago, Jackson got a permit to carry and started keeping an unloaded pistol in his vehicle. Knuesel said that Jackson was trying to follow permit-to-carry training instructions that citizens should warn police officers they are armed. “He tries to notify the officer he has a firearm. All hell breaks lose,” Knuesel stated. After being stalked by a strange car, Jackson was shot in the neck by officers, and he did the only thing he could think of and drove away, Knuesel said. During the standoff, Jackson was terrified that officers would shoot him again, Knuesel added.

The lead prosecutor, Assistant Winona County Attorney Christina Galewski, said that Jackson ignored many commands and opportunities to surrender. During the standoff, she said, “He told the deputies he had a bad life. He was suicidal.” She told the jurors that by the end of the trial she would ask them to find Jackson guilty on all four counts.


The trial is expected to continue next week. Keep reading the Winona Post for more on this case.


Enter the code shown above in the box below
(Items marked * are required)

Search Archives

Our online forms will help you through the process. Just fill in the fields with your information.

Any troubles, give us a call.