Fire broke out at the armory.
Dancers at one of many events at the armory.
On Monday, November 12, from 4-6 p.m. at the Winona County History Center, a new permanent exhibit will open highlighting the history of the 1915 Winona Armory, now part of the History Center, and the Winona County Historical Society’s largest artifact.
This new permanent exhibit highlights the old armory’s history, its special way of connecting military and civilians and how it still connects various members of the community as a museum today. The exhibit also features a short film with area community members, both civilian and veteran, sharing their memories and stories of the old armory.
The Winona County Historical Society (WCHS) was awarded a Veterans Voices Grant from the Minnesota Humanities Center to do this project and is honored to partner with it and Beyond the Yellow Ribbon Project to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the WWI Armistice, which later became Veterans Day, and thank area military veterans and their families with a special reception and exhibit opening. This event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served with a cash bar, and the film screening with some special remarks will be at 5:15 p.m.
A special commemorative patch will be given out (as supplies last) that highlights the emblem still on the armory’s main floor that was used for the 47th Infantry Division, known as the Viking Division; the local guard was Company C, Second Regiment.
This work is funded, in part, with money from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund that was created with the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008. Project partners are Engage Winona and Wenonah Creates.
Find more and plan your visit at www.winonahistory.org or call WCHS at 507-454-2723.