by Sarah Squires
Sunday, December 28
• At 2:48 p.m. police responded to a report of an attempted burglary at a residence on the 400 block of Harriet Street. According to the report nothing was taken, but a screen door had been cut and a deadbolt had been forced open.
• At 4:09 p.m. police ticketed Nathan John Barbian, 28, of Winona, for possession of a hypodermic needle and theft by shoplifting at Fleet Farm. Barbian allegedly stole a phone case and a rechargeable battery.
Monday, December 29
• At 12:10 p.m. police responded to a report of a burglary at a residence on the 50 block of King Street. According to the report a window screen on the home had been cut open and a few drawers had been gone through, but nothing was reported as missing.
Tuesday, December 30
• At 12:50 a.m. police arrested Clinton Kent Haake, 28, of Winona, near Gilmore and Lincoln streets on a warrant related to his failure to appear in court for a theft charge. Haake was also cited for fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance–methamphetamine.
Friday, December 26
• At 11:58 p.m. deputies responded to a vehicle accident involving a pedestrian in the area around Lewiston High School. According to the report, Broc Allen Buytaert, 34, of St. Charles, drove his car in between two trailer park homes and subsequently hit a pedestrian with his car before ending up at the nearby Lewiston High School. According to several witnesses, Buyteart allegedly drove his vehicle into Dillon Michael Scott Poole, 22, of Lewiston, before getting out of the car and allegedly physically assaulting Poole. However, Buyteart told deputies that Poole ran out in front of his vehicle. Buyteart was not taken into custody and no charges have yet been filed.
Sunday, December 28
• At 10:56 p.m. deputies responded to a report of a suspicious person at the Lewiston Kwik Trip and made contact with Christopher Wayne James Swinger, 39, of Minneapolis, who had an active warrant for his arrest from St. Louis County. Deputies performed a pat down on Swinger and subsequently found a hypodermic syringe, methamphetamine, pipes and other drug paraphernalia on his person. Swinger was taken to the Winona County Jail and then taken to detox in Rochester. Swinger was referred to the Winona County Attorney’s office for charges of fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance–methamphetamine, possession of a hypodermic needle and possession of drug paraphernalia.