by MELISSA GORDON
Alright everyone, it’s time to get into the holiday spirit! I know that’s easier said than done, but this year I have decided to let go of the stressors of the season and have fun with the joy. Now who’s with me?
Excellent, so here’s the plan: Get out there and spread some cheer! If that’s too abstract, here’s a list of my favorite suggestions for celebrating the season:
• Decorate a tree
• Go caroling
• Donate your time or money to others
• Bake cookies
• Eat peppermint
• Watch old holiday movies
• Hang a mistletoe
• Drink egg nog, hot cocoa, or warm apple cider
• Send a card to someone you love
• Admire the Christmas lights
To Help With #5: Peppermint & White Chocolate Pretzels
• 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes (~6 candy canes)
• 12 ounces white chocolate (Note: Milk and dark chocolate work well, too — just make sure you get a high quality chocolate, like the chocolate sold at the co-op. This chocolate will be made with better ingredients, such as cocoa butter rather than vegetable oil, which will not only melt better, but taste richer as well.)
• 8 ounces pretzels
Crush the candy canes: unwrap them, place them in a sealed bag, and roll your rolling pin over them a few times until they are crushed. A food processor works, too, but the rolling pin method is just so fun!
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate over low heat. Stir constantly and remove from heat as soon the chocolate is smooth and completely melted.
Dip each pretzel into the melted chocolate, making sure the entire pretzel is coated. Use a fork to remove the pretzel to the parchment paper. Sprinkle immediately with crushed peppermint, and let pretzels harden.
Share with your neighbors, your co-workers, your friends, and your family!