Winona County Sheriff
Saturday, December 22
• At 12:13 a.m. deputies stopped a vehicle for allegedly speeding on County Road 33. Passengers McCoy Martin Tekautz, 19, and Ethan Mark Richard Anderson, 20, both of Rushford, were ticketed with underage consumption of alcohol.
• At 1:13 p.m. a 43-year-old Winona man accidentally shot himself in the hip after slipping on an ice patch at the Winona Sportsmen’s Club. Nobody was cited, but law enforcement officials urge those shooting in the winter months to be careful of ice.
• At 7:18 p.m. deputies responded to a one-vehicle crash on county roads 41 and 116. The driver, a 36-year-old man from Eleva, Wis., was traveling east on County Road 41 and missed his turn onto County Road 116. Unfamiliar with the roadway and due to fog, the man drove off the road and came to rest in a cornfield. The driver was transported to a hospital in Rochester, Minn., for the treatment of unknown injuries.
Sunday, December 23
• At 10:45 a.m. deputies responded to a one-vehicle crash on Rupprechts Valley Road and County Road 27. The driver, Martin Quiahua-Itehua, 33, of Lewiston, reportedly swerved to miss a deer and went off the roadway. The vehicle rolled on to its side and came to rest in an embankment on trees and rocks. Quiahua-Itehua was cited with having no Minnesota driver’s license.
Minnesota State Patrol
Sunday, December 23
• At 10:22 a.m. officers responded to a one-vehicle crash on I-90 near Highway 76 in Winona County. A GMC pickup, driven by a 41-year-old woman from Madison, Wis., was traveling westbound on I-90 when the driver reportedly lost control of the vehicle on the icy roads and rolled over the median. The vehicle came to rest on the eastbound shoulder. The driver and a 43-year-old male were transported to Gundersen Health Systems in La Crosse, Wis., for the treatment on non-life threatening injuries. A canine passenger was uninjured in the crash.