Activities, information and special deals bring families together at the dinner table
This September, Hy-Vee, Inc., is celebrating National Family Meals Month by providing families with tips and tools to make mealtime more manageable.
“Many families have very busy schedules, but they also want to eat and be together,” said Randy Edeker, Hy-Vee’s chairman, CEO and president. “This month, we are focused on ways we can make mealtime even easier and bring families back to the dinner table.”
Created by the Food Marketing Institute (FMI), National Family Meals Month in September is an industry-inspired movement to raise consumer awareness of the health and societal benefits of sharing frequent family meals. Research shows that children who share regular family meals benefit from better grades, improved nutrition, stronger family relationships and higher self-esteem, and they are less likely to use drugs and alcohol.
“Recent research says that more than three-quarters of families report that conflicting schedules are a barrier to eating together on a regular basis,” Edeker said. “That’s why Hy-Vee is working hard to provide tips and tools to give families easy, mealtime solutions so they can have at least one more family meal together each week.”
Hy-Vee’s efforts for National Family Meals Month include the following:
• At all Hy-Vee Market Grille and Market Grille Express restaurants, children eat free, with the purchase of an adult entrée, all month long in September, to encourage families to eat together.
• Daily recipes, each featuring just a few simple and tasty ingredients, will be shared on Hy-Vee’s Twitter page with a focus on National Family Meals Month. Weekly recipe ideas will also be shared on Hy-Vee’s Facebook page. Family meal deals will be highlighted each week in stores for customers looking for grab-and-go dinner options such as prepared foods or mealtime kits that make cooking easy. In addition, a family cooking guide that features tasty, easy-to-prepare meal plans will be promoted throughout the month and can be found at www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/advice-how-tos/cooking-guides/sunday-dinner.
• Hy-Vee’s more than 200 in-store dietitians will continue to provide in-store consultations with customers regarding their dietary needs, conduct store tours to help shoppers make better nutrition choices and lead courses on topics such as kids’ nutrition, lifestyle management and various cooking classes. Hy-Vee dietitians also will lead Kids in the Kitchen family cooking classes for families to learn to prepare food together.
• Hy-Vee’s in-store chefs will conduct cooking classes, develop and prepare recipes that are offered in stores and collaborate with Hy-Vee dietitians to share healthy meal ideas with customers and various community groups.
• Through the Hy-Vee Aisles Online website, www.hy-vee.com/grocery, customers can always shop for their groceries, pay electronically and choose to pick up their order or have it delivered to their home, making grocery shopping even simpler.
Hy-Vee, Inc., is an employee-owned corporation operating more than 245 retail stores across eight Midwestern states with sales of $10 billion annually. The supermarket chain is synonymous with quality, variety, convenience, healthy lifestyles, culinary expertise and superior customer service. Hy-Vee ranks in the Top 10 Most Trusted Brands and has been named one of America’s top-five favorite grocery stores. The company’s more than 80,000 employees provide “A Helpful Smile in Every Aisle” to customers every day. For additional information, visit www.hy-vee.com.