House fire injures one


(1/2/2013)

On Saturday, December 29, at 4:45 p.m. the Eleva Fire Department was called to a house fire on State Road 93, about one mile north of Eleva. It was reported that there was also one person who had suffered burns. Upon arrival, the fire department found the house to be nearly totally involved, with flames visible on three of the four sides.

The lone occupant at the time of the fire, Devon Becker, told responders that she was trying to light the fireplace when an explosion occurred. She appeared to have been knocked unconscious, and came too a short time later, finding the walls in the house on fire. She was able to get out on her own. Eleva First Responders, Osseo Ambulance and Mayo One helicopter treated her for injuries and she was flown to a hospital in the Twin Cities where her condition was later reported as good.

Highway 93 was closed for approximately three hours due to the high volume of fire department tanker traffic.

The Eleva Fire Department was assisted by the Strum Fire Department, Eau Claire Township Fire Department, Osseo Fire Department and the Mondovi Fire Department. Firefighters were on the scene until after 1 a.m. Firefighting was made difficult due to the near-zero degree temperatures and the age of the structure. The Eleva Fire Department was called back to the scene at about 6:30 a.m. Sunday due to a rekindling of the fire. No firefighters or other responders were injured as a result of this incident. One dog and two cats perished in the blaze. Another dog was injured and treated at a veterinary hospital. The house, attached garage and contents are considered a total loss.

 

Search Archives




Our online forms will help you through the process. Just fill in the fields with your information.

Any troubles, give us a call.