Free tax preparation will be available for people of all ages with low to moderate incomes in the Winona area. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), a program provided by Catholic Charities of Southern Minnesota, is made available through funding provided by the state of Minnesota.
The free-tax preparation service will be provided by volunteers at Live Well Winona, located at 619 Huff Street in Winona. Tax preparation assistance is available on Monday during late afternoon, on Tuesdays and on Wednesdays, and Saturday mornings from February 3 through April 14.
Appointments will be available on all days, and a walk-in option is also available. If you walk in, please be prepared to wait. The specific times available are:
• Mondays from 4-7 p.m.
• Tuesdays from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and from 12:30-3:30 p.m.
• Wednesdays from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-3:30 p.m.
• Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon
People of all ages with low to moderate incomes who would otherwise be unable to pay a professional preparer are eligible for this free service.
Vita income limits
Adjusted gross income plus untaxed investment income:
• Dependents (student working but a dependent for parents) — $25,000
• Single (no dependents) — $35,000
• Family size of two (married couple or single with one dependent) — $45,000
• Family size of three or more — $55,000
There are a few exceptions. Preparers are unable to help farmers, rental property owners, business owners who maintain inventory or have expenses exceeding $5,000, members of the clergy, or any taxpayers who have more than six to eight stock transactions.
For more information, visit the Catholic Charities website at www.ccsomn.org or call 474-7202 beginning on January 26, 2018.