The Winona County Historical Society’s History on the River educational cruises are held on Thursday evenings and are on schedule, even with the higher water. Cruises are 90 minutes long and include refreshments. Each week a new speaker is welcomed aboard. Topics coming up include photographing the river, Winona’s boathouse communities and, new this year, Denis Gardner is speaking about Minnesota’s historic bridges on August 1, including Winona’s newly reopened historic 1942 bridge. Gardner’s book, “Wood, Concrete, Stone, and Steel” documents and celebrates a wide range of the state’s rural and urban spans. It is available in the museum shop for purchase! Gardner is an award-winning historian who has documented properties for the National Register of Historic Places and the Historic American Engineering Record. He is also the author of “Minnesota Treasures: Stories behind the State’s Historic Places.”
The History on the River schedule is below (CF: Cal Fremling Boat; WTB: Winona Tour Boat).
• July 18 at 7: Photographing the River: Then and Now with Mary Farrell, CF (Bring your camera if you wish!)
• July 25 at 7: Winona’s Boathouse Communities, WTB
1 at 7: Wood, Concrete, Stone and Steel: Minnesota’s Historic Bridges with Denis Gardner, CF
• August 8 at 7: Mississippi, Missouri, or Big Muddy: What’s in a Name? with Dean Klinkenberg, CF
• August 15 at 7: Sifting Through the Years: The History of Bay State with Al Simanovski, CF
• August 22 at 6:30: Rockin’ on the River with Jeani and the Dreamers, CF, SOLD OUT
• August 29 at 6:30: Winona’s Railroad History, with Erik Brom, WTB
5 at 6: Steamboat Stories with Robert Taunt, CF
• August 12 at 6: Mammals of the Upper Mississippi with Ranger Edward Lagace, CF
• August 19 at 5:30: Eagles on the Mississippi with the National Eagle Center, CF
• August 26 at 5:30: The Lock and Dam System of the Mississippi, WTB
Tickets are sold in advance at the Winona County History Center or by calling 507-454-2723, extension zero. Tickets are $27 for non-members and $22 for Winona County Historical Society members. Save with the “pick three” option, and go on your choice of any three History on the River cruises for $75 for non-members or $60 for members. Find more and plan your trip at winonahistory.org/to-do.