Celebrating dad (bods)
by MELISSA GORDON
What do ties, grilling utensils, and dad bods all have in common? This Sunday they will be out in force as fathers everywhere open gifts and grill food.
To help the dad in your life achieve (or maintain) the infamous dad bod, make sure he is practicing a lifestyle of moderation. For example, he can drink beer — but not too much. And he can do crunches — but not too many. Similarly, he can grill steaks and burgers, just as long as he’s also grilling chicken and vegetables.
To that end, celebrate dad — and his dad bod — this weekend with a deliciously brined, perfectly grilled chicken.
Dad Bod Chicken Brine
1. Combine the following brine ingredients and bring to a boil in a large heavy pot:
• 4 quarts cold water
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup Kosher salt
2. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
3. Remove brine from heat. Once brine is completely cooled, add:
• 5 1/2 to 6 pounds chicken parts with skin and bones
4. Make sure chicken is completely covered in brine and soak for six hours in the refrigerator.
5. Remove chicken, pat dry, and grill.
6. When chicken is grilling, whisk together the following marinade ingredients:
• 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons fish sauce
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
• 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
7. Remove cooked chicken from grill and turn in bowl of marinade.
8. Serve with remaining marinade and optional garnishes:
• Fresh chopped mint and/or cilantro
• Grilled lime wedges