by Frances Edstrom
Sometimes the little (and sometimes not so little) irritations in life obscure the many more things that actually go well. So, in the spirit of the Thanksgiving holiday, I decided to make a list of the things in my life for which I should be grateful. Please note, these are not necessarily in order of importance.
1. I'm grateful to those people who park within the lines
2. I'm glad that most people clean up after their dogs
3. I'm thankful that most of the clothes we buy have buttons that don't fall off on the first wearing
4. It's nice that toothpaste tubes have become much more user-friendly over the years
5. I'm happy that so many people in the world are good and generous
6. I'm always taken aback at the kindnesses people show us and the little notes they write thanking us for this or that
7. I like the little dish of pennies that retailers put out so you don't have to carry a purse full of heavy metal
8. The fact that most people can go cheerfully to work every day and share their happiness with others is a reason to be thankful for living in the U.S.
9. I'm glad humans stay little and cute longer than chickens do
10. I'm pleased that my kids have jobs
11. I'm happy that things like long-distance communication, home heating and electricity are so easy
12. It's a good thing that not all professional athletes are jerks
13. I'm astonished at how much beauty, both natural and man-made, surrounds us
14. Businesses that have a real person answer the phone make me smile
15. I'm grateful for all the good and honest businesses in our area
17. I'm heartened that so many people tell us they appreciate our paper
18. I owe a great deal of respect and thanks to those people who devote their lives to helping those less able to help themselves
19. I'm happy that Winona is the sort of place people want to raise families
20. I'm thankful I have a garage and don't have to remember if it's an odd or even day
There, that's a start.