From: Nancy M. Brown
Winona Health Foundation executive director of development
‘Tis the season for counting our blessings, and, in as many ways as possible, we want to thank those of you who have given generously to support Winona Health, and to let you know the difference your gifts are making in how we deliver care to our family, friends and neighbors throughout our regional community.
Perhaps the most visible way we are using private contributions is through the Ben & Adith Miller Patient Care Fund. At the end of fiscal year 2009, the Patient Care Fund helped 262 families pay more than $667,000 in medical bills to Winona Health. But the benefit extends beyond these families. If it were not for the resources of the Patient Care Fund, Winona Health would have to write off these charges, and that is income we can ill afford to lose in these challenging times.
Other ways we observe philanthropy at work is in how we deliver on the promise to provide patient/resident-centered care. Sometimes that means creating a healing environment, providing therapeutic options outside of what is reimbursable, or providing training for staff. All are essential but are not necessarily supported by the traditional revenue stream.
Examples of how gifts to the Winona Health Foundation made a difference this past fiscal year include:
• physical improvements to the Intensive Care Unit and Cardiac Rehabilitation Departments.
• significant enhancements to the Courtyard at Watkins Manor assisted living– done as a result of a memorial gift from the family of Marie Dunn, a former Watkins Manor resident
• renewal of our patient education subscription: Krames
• widespread use of patient pagers in all our clinic settings
• providing alternative therapies, such as music and massage, to our hospice clients
• Home Care staff education and support via an endowment established several years ago for that specific purpose, and more.
At Winona Health we are truly blessed by the investments our community has made in the health and well-being of our family, friends and neighbors.
If you are interested in making a contribution to your community by supporting local healthcare services, please contact me at the Winona Health Foundation office, or, donate or learn more online at winonahealth.org/foundation.