A fire early Friday morning engulfed a St. Charles farmer’s machine shed, destroying a combine and nearly 100 bales of hay.
According to St. Charles Fire Chief Lyle Peterson, firefighters were dispatched to Bill Dunley’s property on County Highway 9 just after 6 a.m. Dunley said he believes the fire started from hot hay.
An hour earlier, Dunley said he could smell the hay smoldering and decided to move the bales around. Chief Peterson said that the hay instantly caught fire and completely engulfed the contents of the shed.
Fire crews were able to salvage several bales of hay stacked on the outside of the shed but Chief Peterson said the shed, combine, and hay inside were a total loss. No injuries were reported.