The Winona Port Authority Board is poised to demolish two concrete silos sitting next to the old dock a year ahead of schedule. The project was slated for 2014 in the port’s capital improvement plan, but because of new state funding, the Port Authority is moving forward with the project this year.
In 2012, the port received funding from the Minnesota Department of Transportation to fund 80 percent of the project up to $320,000. Winona Port Authority Assistant Executive Secretary Lucy McMartin said that the project’s price tag should be well under that figure.
On Thursday, January 17, the Port Authority voted unanimously to open up the project to bids. McMartin told Port Authority members they could expect to have bids in by their next meeting on Thursday, February 14.
“Pre-demolition work is proceeding as we sit here,” Port Authority President Michael Cichanowski said at the meeting.
Work preceeding the silo demolition including the removal of steel structures, conveyors, and other equipment by CD Corporation, which had been occupying the site, according to McMartin. McMartin said that work was not paid for by the city of Winona.
The Port Authority does not currently have plans for new construction on the site.