Symposia, Film, Bus Tour, Art Exhibits, Stage Play
On the one-hundredth anniversary of Rockwell Kent's stay in Winona, the Winona community is proud to celebrate the artist with a week-long festival featuring exhibits of his works and other activities that illustrate his importance as an international artist. Kent came to Winona in 1912 to build Briarcombe Farms, two Georgian Revival Mansions situated on 350 acres of a dairy farm and orchards overlooking the Mississippi at the entrance to Pleasant Valley.
A partnership including the Minnesota Marine Art Museum, Winona State University, Saint Mary's University, Winona County Historical Society, Theatre du Mississippi, and the Winona Public Library will team up to offer an exciting series of exhibits and activities that reveal the scope, character, and influence of Kent's lifetime of work in the arts. The featured events include:
• Minnesota Marine Art Museum Exhibit: A collection of Kent's original work, on loan from Plattsburgh State University and a private collection.
• Winona County History Center Exhibit: Explores the historical Briarcombe mansions that were built by Kent and the lives of the people he met while in Winona.
• Winona State University (Paul Watkins Gallery) and St. Mary's University (Lillian Hogan Davis Gallery): Exhibits of Kent's prints and wood engravings.
• Theatre du Mississippi: Performances of the play Angels in the Trees: Rockwell Kent in Winona written by Lynn Nankivil, based on Kent's year in Winona.
• Winona State University: A showing of the documentary movie on the life of Rockwell Kent, by the movie-maker Frederick Lewis.
• Winona Public Library: A display of Kent's illustrated books in the Rotunda, where Kent had his first art show in June of 1913.
• Winona State University: A symposium on Kent and his important Winona contemporary Carl Ruggles, composer and conductor.
Schedule of Festival Events*
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Opening Ceremony/Progressive Exhibit Openings
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Winona State University – Watkins Gallery
5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Saint Mary's University – Lillian Davis Hogan Gallery
5:00 – 7:00 p.m., Minnesota Marine Art Museum
6:00 – 7:00 p.m., Winona County History Center
Thursday, February 7, 2013
6:30 p.m., Frederick Lewis' movie Rockwell Kent with introduction by the filmmaker (Winona State University - SLC 120)
Friday, February 8, 2013
7:30 p.m., “Angels in the Trees: Rockwell Kent in Winona (Theatre du Mississippi” - Historic Masonic Theater, 255 Main St.)
Saturday, February 9, 2013
9:00 a. m
Rockwell Kent's Historic Passport Case (Winona State University Alumni House - 227 W. Wabasha St.)
9:30 a.m. Frederick Lewis' movie Rockwell Kent with introduction by the filmmaker (Winona State University - SLC 120)
10 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m.
Bus Tour - See rockwellkentwinona.org to register.
1:00 – 5:00 p.m. Symposium on Rockwell Kent and Carl Ruggles, led by Henry Adams. (Winona State University - Stark Hall)
7:30 p.m. “Angels in the Trees: Rockwell Kent in Winona” at (Theatre du Mississippi - Historic Masonic Theater, 255 Main St.)
Sunday, February 10, 2013
2:00 p.m. “Angels in th”e Trees: Rockwell Kent in Winona (Theatre du Mississippi - Historic Masonic Theater, 255 Main St.)
* Check the website rockwellkentwinona.org for any schedule changes.