Friday, August 30
• At 3:53 p.m. deputies arrested Patricia Ann Palmquist, 66, of Stockton, for fourth-degree driving while under the influence after officers observed her driving without a seatbelt and made a traffic stop. Deputies detected an odor of alcohol during the stop. A preliminary breath test indicated that Palmquist had a blood alcohol content of .17 percent.
Saturday, August 31
• At 2:22 a.m. deputies arrested Gary Allen Kowalewski, 52, of Winona, on suspicion of driving while intoxicated after he was pulled over for failing to come to a complete stop near Latsch Island and Dick’s Marina. Kowalewski refused a preliminary breath test, so he will be referred to the county attorney for charges of test refusal as well.
Wed., September 4
• At 3:53 p.m. deputies responded to an accident near Lewiston on Dutchman’s Crossing. The driver, Lance Jacob Glover, 17, of Winona, lost control of his vehicle after swerving to miss a deer. The car rolled and Glover sustained injuries that required medical attention. The accident is still under investigation.
Friday, September 6
•At 1:58 a.m. deputies arrested Shaun Anthony Philippe, 22, of Fountain City, Wis., for fourth-degree driving while intoxicated, possession of a small amount of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, following a traffic stop. Deputies reportedly observed a tan Toyota speeding on Highway 61 and drifting between the fog line and center line. Upon making the traffic stop, deputies alleged that the driver had bloodshot watery eyes, an odor of alcohol and slurred speech. The driver admitted to consuming alcoholic beverages earlier in the evening, according to the report. A field sobriety test was administered and a preliminary breath test indicated Philippe had a blood alcohol content of .12 percent. As the deputies arrested Philippe, they searched his pants pockets and found an orange pill bottle containing three grams of marijuana and a small glass pipe.
Friday, August 23
• At 2:06 p.m. officers ticketed Dustin Allen Zeller, 25, of Winona, for theft by shoplifting. Zeller allegedly stole $32.98 in items from Walmart.
Monday, August 26
• At 3:37 p.m. officers ticketed Brett James Fredrickson, 19, of Winona, for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
Thursday, August 29
• At 9:59 a.m. officers responded to a report of a theft on the 500 block of Center Street. Two victims reported several items of clothing had been taken from a washing machine while it was running. The value of the clothes is estimated to be at $250-300.
Saturday, August 31
• At 5:07 p.m. officers arrested Kim Marie Stolpa, 55, Dodge, Wis., for fourth-degree driving while under the influence of alcohol. An off-duty Houston officer called to report a vehicle crossing the yellow line and driving on the shoulder, driving through Winona. Officers stopped Stolpa near Third and Zumbro streets. A preliminary breath test indicated that Stolpa had a blood alcohol content of .10 percent.
Monday, September 2
• At 10:55 a.m. officers ticketed Laura Jenette Nagy, 20, of Waseca for unsafe U-turn, and leaving the scene of a property damage accident. Reports indicate that Nagy was attempting to make a U-turn from the outside lane of traffic near Sixth and Hamilton streets when she collided with Matthew Neil Blood, 27, of Chanhassen. Nagy admitted to using her cellphone at the time, and fleeing the incident without pulling over.
• At 9:12 p.m. officers responded to a report of a theft at a house near the 1400 block of Ridgewood Drive. Occupants of the house stated that they had just arrived home from a weekend vacation earlier in the evening and noticed grass and mud inside the residence. Upon further inspection the occupants noted that a safe, containing cash and antique coins, had been removed from the home. There were no signs of forced entry, and there are no suspects at this time.
Tuesday, September 3
• At 6:26 p.m. officers responded to reports that a man had a gun in the Winona mall parking lot and was making threats. Officers arrested John Anthony Sigismondi, 42, after locating him on his bicycle near Kmart. A CO2 pistol was found in his possession. Officers have referred Sigismondi to the county attorney’s office for charges.
Wed., September 4
• At 11:47 p.m. officers patrolling Latsch Island-after investigating the use of fireworks in the area, ticketed five individuals for underage consumption of alcohol: Zachary Robert Fischenich, 20, of Winona, (preliminary breath test indicated he had blood alcohol content of .014 percent); Joseph Allan Sorensen, 20, of Winona, (.012 percent); Tenner Charles Stoe, 19, of Winona, (.111 percent); Evan James Hewitt, 19, of Winona, (.177 percent); Lauren Lynn Hosman, 20, of Winona, (.141 percent). Hosman was also cited for giving a false date of birth to officers.
Thurs., September 5
• At 6:45 p.m. officers ticketed Jacob Thomas Spiess, 18, of Hugo, Minn., for underage consumption of alcohol after a WSU security officer observed Spiess rolling around the ground and struggling to speak near 175 West Mark Street.
• At 11:22 p.m. officers ticketed David William Untinen-Kolb, 23, for holding a loud party or gathering after noise complaints were made near the 50 block of East Third Street.
Friday, September 6
• At 12:28 a.m. officers ticketed Ben Joseph Smith Jr. for underage consumption of alcohol and driving after Smith was observed making an illegal lane change. Officers reported that Smith had speech and bloodshot watery eyes; a preliminary breath test indicated Smith had a blood alcohol content of .06 percent.