Saturday, September 7
• At 8:48 p.m. deputies were dispatched to the scene of an assault in Hidden Valley park. A juvenile male reported that he was riding his bicycle through the park when three young males attacked him, knocked him off his bicycle, punched him several times in the head, and stole his cellphone. The victim had red cheeks and a swollen bleeding lip. The suspects were wearing all black clothing.
Sunday, September 8
• At 4:05 a.m. deputies responded to a report of an accident near 54th Avenue where they arrested Jacob Lee Johnson, 25, of Winona, for third-degree driving while intoxicated. When they arrived, deputies found a red Pontiac Grand Am had a flat tire and damaged rim. Four males at the scene of the accident allegedly saw another male run from the scene of the accident toward the J.C. Penney building. Deputies found a male matching the driver’s description walking on 37th Street, who male smelled of alcohol and was covered in sweat. At first the individual claimed to be out for a walk, or a jog, to get in shape, but after further questioning by deputies he admitted to driving the vehicle. Johnson alleged that his steering seized up, and he did not think he hit anything. A search of his car found a cellophane bag that field tested positive for marijuana. Johnson had a preliminary breath test of .15 percent; he had been charged with a DWI in 2008.
Monday, September 9
•At 2:04 a.m. deputies arrested Darren Levon Evans, 47, of Winona for second-degree driving while intoxicated and test refusal after they received reports that a vehicle was traveling southbound in a northbound lane on Highway 61 near Homer. Deputies indicated that Evans said he knew he was driving in the wrong lane of traffic. While speaking with the driver they noticed he had bloodshot watery eyes, and detected a strong odor of alcohol, according to police. Evans has had two prior driving while intoxicated arrests in the past two years.
• At 6:45 p.m. deputies were sent to assist probation officers at a residence in Elba, where they later arrested two individuals and referred them for charges. Probation officers spoke with the individuals and then entered the premise with deputies following. A search of the residence revealed several illegal items including crystal meth, drug paraphernalia, a .22 caliber handgun, and prescription bottles of pills with the drug and prescription information removed. Brittany Victoria Kieffer, 28, of Elba has been referred for the following charges: fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, and third-degree possession of a controlled substance. Nicholas Scott Hodge, 33, of Elba, has been referred for the following charges: fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance, felony possession of a firearm, possession of drug paraphernalia, and controlled possession of a third-degree controlled substance.
Friday, August 30
•Officers ticketed Andrew John Kim Paulson, 25, of Winona, for theft after he reportedly took $43.78 worth of collector cards from Walmart.
Wed., September 4
• At 9:28 a.m. officers received a report of fraud from a 66-year-old from Winona, after she discovered a fraudulent account had been opened and she was listed as a co-signer. The account had $7,449.39 in incurred charges.
• At 12:45 p.m. officers received a report of a theft that allegedly took place on August 31 near the 250 block of East Third Street. A female victim reported that she went to bed at 7 p.m. on August 31 and woke up at 3:30 a.m. on September 1 to find that $650 in cash from a check she had just cashed was missing from her dresser.
Thurs., September 5
• At 1:31 p.m. officers responded to a report of a theft near the 50 block of West Ninth Street. The victims reported that a purse and two wallets were removed from an apartment between 2;30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. that morning. The front door was unlocked, there was no forced entry, and there are no suspects at this time.
Friday, September 6
•At 1:12 a.m. officers ticketed Patrick Howard Olson, 28, of Princeton, Minn., for disorderly conduct for allegedly yelling racial and homophobic slurs near Third and Market streets.
•At 10:42 p.m. officers ticketed James Benjamin Griffin, 19, of Winona for underage consumption of alcohol after officers were called to a residence because Griffin was reportedly pounding on the door of a home where he did not live.
• At 11:40 p.m. officers were dispatched to 150 Franklin Street after officers were notified of a driver backing over a mailbox in the area. Officers arrested Logan Terrence Galchutt, 21, for third-degree driving while intoxicated. A preliminary breath test indicated that Galchutt’s blood alcohol content was .24 percent.
• At 11:56 p.m. officers were called to Lourdes Hall at Winona State University by the security team. WSU security reported an intoxicated female was falling down on the sidewalk. Jessica Erin Laing, 18, was ticketed for underage consumption of alcohol and sent to detox in Rochester with a preliminary blood alcohol content of .24 percent.
Saturday, September 7
• At 2:13 a.m. officers ticketed two individuals for underage consumption of alcohol after finding them at Garvin Heights lookout after park hours. Brendan Patrick Burke, 18, of De Pere, Wis., and Jessica Rae Petras, 18, of Winona were both charged with underage consumption of alcohol.
• At 2:55 a.m. officers ticketed Omar Rashid Spence, 20, for underage consumption of alcohol after St. Mary’s University staff alleged he returned to campus in a bloodied shirt and was uncooperative with staff.
• At 2:03 p.m. officers ticketed Crystal Jean Hicks, 26, of Minnesota City, Minn., for shoplifting. Hicks allegedly took $31.35 worth of clothing and toiletries from Walmart.
• At 11:14 p.m. officers ticketed a juvenile, 17, with underage consumption of alcohol and curfew violation after employees at the Kwik Trip on Huff and Sarnia streets reported a suspicious young male lurking about.
• At 11:25 p.m. officers ticketed James Joseph West, 18, of Winona for underage consumption of alcohol after witnessing West urinating near Fifth and Huff streets. West also received a verbal warning for urinating in public.
Sunday, September 8
• At 12:27 a.m. officers ticketed Casey Lea Bennett, 22, of Winona at 102 Johnson Street, for disorderly conduct for allegedly trying to start a fight with another girl at MC’s Bar.
• At 12:50 a.m. officers responded to reports of a loud party near Fairway Woods. Officers ticketed Brandon Lee Frey, 20, of Winona for underage consumption of alcohol after they found him lying in the grass.
• At 3:03 a.m. officers responded to damage complaint near the 550 block of West Fifth Street. A caller reported seeing a white male attempting to cut down a neighbor’s tree with an ax. The same person then apparently damaged a car with the ax as well, according to police. The car’s driver’s side back window was smashed out and the driver’s side rearview mirror was smashed as well. The alleged perpetrator reportedly headed eastbound on Fifth Street, but was not found by officers.
• At 7:28 p.m. officers ticketed two individuals for disorderly conduct after receiving reports of a loud argument. Justin Allan Forhan, 25, of Winona and Howard Devon Lovelady, 20, of Winona were ticketed for disorderly conduct. Lovelady was also ticketed for possession of a violent weapon because he was carrying brass knuckles.