Thursday, October 24
• Deputies referred Eric Alan McCumber, 53, of Plainview, for fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance after investigators found marijuana plants growing in Whitewater State Park. The plants, originally discovered on September 27, were left alone to be monitored. McCumber was in the vicinity of the plants when deputies returned on October 8. McCumber, who was carrying a .22 caliber rifle, said the plants were not his, but he had touched them, explaining that is why his fingerprints were on it.
Monday, October 7
• Shawn Michael Fort, 22, of Winona, was referred for a charge of financial card transaction fraud after allegedly using someone else’s financial debit card for several purchases at local Freedom and Kwik Trip stations.
Friday, October 11
• At 8:45 a.m., officers ticketed a juvenile, 15, of Minnesota City, for trespassing on school property at Winona Senior High School.
Wed., October 16
• At 11:42 a.m., officers responded to a report of shoplifting at Walmart. Jack Charles Kuver, 26, of Minnesota City, was ticketed for theft by shoplifting after he allegedly took $142.21 worth of electronics and clothing.
Friday, October 18
• At 2:24 p.m., officers responded to a report of a theft at Walmart. Sheila Diane Cheeks, 66, of Winona, was ticketed for theft by shoplifting after she allegedly took $130.05 worth of clothing and food.
Monday, October 21
• At 7:39 a.m., Myron George Weege, 20, of Winona, was ticketed for allegedly violating a school bus arm near Seventh and Olmstead streets.
Tuesday, October 22
• At 5:56 a.m., officers ticketed Cheriel Slane, 27, of Winona, for driving without a Minnesota license and driving with no insurance at the Kwik Trip on Sixth and Mankato streets. Slane’s passenger, Shawn Michael Fort, 22, of Winona was also ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt.
Thursday, October 24
• At 12:01 a.m., officers responded to a report of three people looking in cars on the 650 block of West Fourth Street. When officers arrived, the three individuals split up and ran, the officers apprehended one individual. Timothy Paul Schmalenberg Jr., 18, of Minnesota City, was ticketed for fleeing from a peace officer on foot, and tampering with a motor vehicle. Several items were found in the vehicle that do not belong to the owners. Individuals who believe their vehicles may have been entered the night of October 23 or the morning of October 24 and have found items missing are urged to contact the Winona County Sheriff’s Department to see if the property was recovered.
Friday, October 25
• At 12:33 a.m., officers made a traffic stop near Eighth and Wilson streets. Anthony William Palumbo, 25, of Bloomer, Minn., was pulled over for having a loud exhaust. Palumbo was then ticketed for having no Minnesota driver’s license, possession of a small amount of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
• At 1:44 a.m., officers stopped Brian Donagan Thomas for speeding near Sixth and Harriet streets. Upon speaking with Thomas, the officers allegedly detected signs of intoxication. Thomas refused a breath test and is being charged with fourth-degree driving while intoxicated and third-degree test refusal.