The Abner Hodgin’s house: Celebrating Lumber Prosperity in
Queen Anne style
Lumber baron Abner Hodgins hired local architect Charles Maybury to design a grand house near Windom Park in 1890. Known to many older Winonans as the “Bishops House” because the Catholic Church owned it many years, the home has been carefully preserved by Dave and Kathy Christenson since 1976. Learn more about its history at the next Food For Thought program on November 20 at 12:05 p.m. at the Winona County History Center. Historian Greg Gaut will explain why the city has designated the house as a local landmark protected by our preservation ordinance. The Hodgins house is not only associated with the lumber industry which drove Winona’s growth in the late 19th century but also is an outstanding example of Queen Anne style.
The Food For Thought learning series takes place at the Winona County History Center. Lectures, Films and Book Chats begin at 12:05 p.m. and last approximately one hour (unless otherwise noted). Attendees are welcome to bring their own lunch. Coffee is served. All are free and open to the public. Find more programs by visiting the WCHS online at www.winonahistory.org or by calling 507.454.2723. Also find the WCHS on Facebook and YouTube.