On Friday, August 22, at 7:21 a.m., a female Winona State University (WSU) student reported that she was assaulted at a friend’s residence on the 150 block of East Eighth Street at approximately 6:30 a.m. According to the WSU campus report, the female victim said that she entered the residence and was grabbed from behind by a male suspect, and both fell to the floor. The victim said that her attacker was covering the lower part of his face and was a white male, approximately 5’11”, with shaggy hair. He subsequently fled the residence after attacking the victim. This is the third report of an assault near the WSU campus since Friday. Anyone who might have information regarding this assault, or others, are urged to contact the Winona Police Department at 507-457-6492, or WSU Campus Security at 507-457-5555.
Don Walski, Director of Security at WSU, suggests the following safety practices for students:
• Always walk with a friend
• Report suspicious activity immediately to law enforcement
• Keep doors of your residence locked at all times
• Be aware of your surroundings
• Walk in well-lit areas
• Utilize Winona State’s escort service within a four-block radius of campus during evening hours. An escort may be requested by calling 507-457-5555.